Recent Posts

Monday, August 3, 2009

A Bit of a Gas

Last summer my wife's parents and grandparents were in town. It was finally my chance to show her dad and grandpa that I am not a complete slouch in the garage. One afternoon while everyone was napping, I started up the Model A and drove her up the street to the gas station to fill the tank. (No use showing off the car if there's not enough gas to take a turn around the block, right?)

The tank of the Model A is right up front and center. In fact, it is right there behind the dashboard. The gas gauge itself fits in a hole in the dashboard that opens directly to the tank. I learned on the drive home from the gas station that when the gaskets on the gas gauge wear out, the gas simply flows freely down the dash, and in my case, all over my legs. As I drove the block from the gas station to my house, getting a little heady with the fumes, I started thinking about how all that separates the driver from the engine is a half inch of plywood.

Anyhow, I got the car back in the garage and started looking for a piece of hose to siphon the gas. I've never siphoned gas before, but I have a gist of the concept (suck until you get a mouthful and then plunge the hose into a bucket, placed somewhat lower than the tank). It was about then that my father-in-law woke up and saw me hopping around the backyard. I had just decided to shorten my garden hose by six feet, and I was looking for a bucket when I turn to see everyone coming outside to see what I am up to. Not the impression I was hoping to make.

It worked out in the end. My wife's dad had plenty of experience with a siphoning hose, and we had the excess gas drained off quick enough. We were even able to get the truck out on the road for a little bit (once the gas is below the gauge, there was no more leaking).

I fixed the gauge earlier this summer. I will share more about that later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment