Recent Posts

Monday, August 10, 2009

Fixing a Leaky Dash

Replacing the gaskets on the gas gauge turns out to be a very simple process. Once you remove the instrument panel (four screws), it's simply a matter of removing the gauge and replacing the worn gaskets with new ones (a set of gaskets can be found at Snyder's Antique Auto Parts). They have cork gaskets, but I chose the neoprene. They are supposed to last longer, and even though I like working on the truck, how many times do I really want to replace gas gauge gaskets?

Along with gaskets, I needed a set of tools specially made for the task of removing gauge itself. The shorter tool is for the inner nut while the longer tool is for the outer nut.

The removal went easy enough. Once the outer nut is removed, the whole thing comes out as one unit—cork, arm, and all.

Putting it all back together was straight forward, though it was a bit tricky getting the new gaskets in place. The old gaskets were much thinner. I am not sure if that's because the originals were thinner or these were compressed over time. In either case, there are two smaller gaskets that sandwich the round glass plate. Once they were in place, it was difficult getting the black plate to sit level while I tightened it down with the inner nut. In the end, I bent the plate a little and it all worked out fine.

Interestingly we've been working so much on the steering, now that the gas gauge is in place I haven't had a chance to fill up the tank to see if it worked. All the parts are in place to start 'er up this week, so hopefully I will be able to post good news on my first successful project a bit later.

Looking ahead blog-wise, I am hoping to share a little of the panel truck's pedigree, some Model A history, and anecdotes from our quest to straighten out our loose steering.

0 comments:

Post a Comment